1. Participate in research!
We need women with lipedema (painful fat on the arms and legs) to participate in research to help us find a cure for this disease that affects millions of women.
Lipedema fat is painful and makes it hard to lose by diet, exercise and even bariatric surgery which is not ok!
We really need women who do not have lipedema to participate in our research study.
Women without lipedema are the control or comparison population that we need to match to women with lipedema.
We are now enrolling in a study for liposuction of fat for control women with some excess fat on the abdomen and thighs.
Call 520-626-7689 or
Compensation for time and travel is provided for controls.
2. Donate Tissue (Skin and Fat) to the TREAT Program
Consider donating tissue samples to move research forward on fat disorders
The TREAT Program Biorepository accepts the following samples:
- Skin and fat punch biopsies in a slide, paraffin, block or formalin
- Lipomas in formalin or frozen
- Liposuction aspirate
- Resin embeded samples for electron microscopy
- We collaborate with multiple investigators to better understand Lipedema and Dercum's Disease so your donation will be put to good use.
- Contact the TREAT Program research office and let us know the date of the surgery.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 520-626-7689
- Program Coordinator: We are looking for a new coordinator if you are intersted.
- Patient and surgeon complete a Biorepository consent form.Biorepository Consent Form
- Surgeon describes the tissue sample on this form.sample_collection_sheet_updated_3.12.2019.pdf
- Shipping instructions non-liposuction samples on this form.Shipping non-liposuction samples
- Shipping instructions for liposuction samples.Shipping liposuction samples
- The patient completes a questionnaire. Get a link by sending an email here: email@example.com
- You can also access this link directly to fill out a questionnaire: https://is.gd/treatprograminsight
- Contact information of the surgeon, pathologist or facility will help facilitate getting the samples where they need to go.
3. Donate a saliva sample for DNA.
Samples of DNA allow us to check for mutations in genes that we think might be important in fat disorders.
- Email the TREAT Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Provide your name, address, phone number and email.
- We will mail you a a consent form and a saliva sample kit.
- Follow the directions for the saliva sample.
- Mail back the saliva sample and the consent form (it is a good idea to keep a copy of the consent form for yourself).
- Include a family tree. See an example of how to do that here: https://njaes.rutgers.edu/health-finance/pdfs/family-medical-tree.pdf
- Our address: 1501 North Campbell Avenue, Room 6408, Tucson, Arizona, 85724
4. **Donate your genetic data to improve our understanding of fat disorders**
- Answer a questionnare and upload your genetic data.
- Please use this link: https://is.gd/treatprograminsight
4. Calculate your BMI
Supplied by BMI Calculator USA
Thank you!!! You make a difference!